Wednesday

Honk if you feel ill.

Rarely, if a severe infection occurs ( I suppose that currently that means Swine Flu ) or type 2 diabetes isn't diagnosed (mine is) or is poorly controlled (mine isn't), people with Tyoe II Diabetes (that would be me then) can develop hyperosmotic non-ketotic coma (HONK).

HONK is caused if blood sugar levels rise to very high levels. It causes:
extreme thirst
feeling sick
dry skin
excessive urine production
disorientation

Eventually it can cause drowsiness and loss of consciousness. HONK needs to be treated in hospital.

I had all those conditions when I was initially diagnosed. My Doctor did say that I was near to being hospitalised. :)

Now all I have to worry about is which med I am on and what its side effects are. Currently I am enjoying extremely itchy eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment