Saturday


The road next to my house. Closed as it was under several feet of water. I resisted the urge to go and look, after all, it would have just been horrible muddy sewerage laden water swilling across the road and into peoples houses. I think that those poor house owners have more than enough to contend with, they didn't need a sightseer.


This is Gordon Brown and Parmjit (Our MP) when they visited our bottled water distribution centre. Just after I took this with with my phone (Nokia N95, cracking good camera phone), he stopped to talk with me. I was then interviewed by the ITN news team who seemed primarily interested in whether I blamed the Government. Blamed the Government? For what? Britains worst rain storm and flood in 300 years? Not even with my imagination could I find a way to lay that at their door. I was impressed greatly by Hannah though, she took herself up to the water distribution place yesterday and spent all day from 8am until 6pm giving out water. That is such a cool thing for a teenager (well anyone actually) to do. No seeking recognition, just doing it because it needed to be done. We didn't suggest it, prompt her or even talk about it, she just said 'I want to help' and she did.


This is the bowser near my house being filled for only the second time. A queue was already forming as you can see. Water is so in demand that the bowser was empty again within an hour. Part of the problem is human nature. I can see how parents are trying to turn this disaster into a bit of an adventure for the kids, and I see small troops of youngsters coming to fill bottles of water to take back home. (This is the only bowser for the housing estate, several hundred houses, school, so lots of families).


And the kids have all been laughing and joking, and that is good, most of the parents realise the gravity of the situation and don't laugh too much. (There are jokes circulating but they are are in poor taste, and when you realise that this disaster has greatly affected tens of thousands of people, jokes at peoples expense are NOT going to raise spirits). But lets be honest, the bowser taps are twice the size of the neck of the bottle, kids are not usually the most careful of people, and so the end result is a good deal of spillage. As the photo shows, the wet patch from under the taps.
I have no idea what volume of water is lost, but it is not just a dribble, and I know it does not compare to some of the stories of water abuse that I have heard.

Latest news from Severn Trent is that some 'brown' water may be back in the system on Tuesday, which may mean that it will get to us by Late Wednesday or early Thursday. It takes that long because we are just about 20 odd miles from Mythe and at the end of the route from the Mythe treatment works. A mile or so down the road and people still have running water. Their popularity has increased, as has their generosity (thanks nearby neighbours). The pipes are all empty and will take a day or so to fill up and get to us. And then we will still have no drinking water, as the pipes are so polluted from sewerage. It may be undrinkable for upto four weeks apparently.

Well, we are off to Solihull to my mothers today for a jolly good shower, and a shave (For ME! Not Yvonne!!), and we will bring some good old Brummie water back with us, it will make a change from all the bottled mineral water. I know that mineral water has a higher level of salts in them to what we normally drink, hence it being unsuitable for babies, and I know that psychology comes to bear, but since the floods and having to drink bottled water, I seem so much thirstier than usual. Is this my mind playing tricks, or my diabetes and body chemistry upset by the salts in the mineral water? I don't know.

I will try and see if I can take a still image from the news footage of me talking to Gordon and post it on here. Well, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment