Tuesday

I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God.

Gabapentin, so they tell me, has a side effect that affects memory. There are, genuinly, things that my familiy have said to me recently that I have absolutely no recollection of them saying.
But is it the gabapentin? I remember doing a training course on Human Performance a few years ago. We were all shown a short film and then asked a number of questions on it. There were twenty of us doing the course, and twenty of us all saw a different film. MOST of us did not see a man with a banana, some did but thought it a knife, and so on. I performed no better or worse than anyone else, but i have a long lasting memory of a question, What is the truth?
Is it what I remember?
Is it what someone else remembers?
Is it what mattered what happened?

Do you remember driving to work yesterday? What colour was the second bus you saw? What car was behind you at the third set of lights? Did a car cut you up? Was the driver young or old, male or female. What car did you park next to in the car park. What dress/tie was a c0-worker wearing? And so on. You can't remember some key issues can you?
'But they are not key' you might rebuff, but what if you read the local paper tomorrow and discover that the car that cut you up was fleeing from a crime, perhaps a murder? I grew up with the Birmingham bombings, and I know what I remember seeing on TV, but what do I remember of the actual events as they unfolded. How reliable would I be if I were called as a witness 40 years on? How reliable would you be, I day, 1 month, 1 year on from an event.
How reliable a witness could you be? And you probably are not taking gabapentin. Just think about it next time there is a report of a big trial on TV, perhaps a terrorist bombing.

Perhaps it ought to be

I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, as my memory remembers it, so help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment