Monday

Well now, that is interesting. I was rummaging around the internet (as you do), and came across a test to find out what type of brain I have. It seems I have a male type brain (do not be surprised, apparantly brain type does not always follow sex type). If you are interested in your own, I have reproduced the test below. Print it out, don't cheat and see what type you are:


The Empathy Quotient (EQ)The Empathy Quotient is intended to measure how easily you pick up on other people's feelings and how strongly you are affected by other people's feelings. Please read each of the 60 following statements very carefully and rate how strongly you agree or disagree with them by circling your answer. There are no right or wrong answers, or trick questions.
How to take the test 1. Print out this page and circle your answers. 2. Work out your EQ score using the points system explained at the bottom of this page.
1. I can easily tell if someone else wants to enter a conversation.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
2. I prefer animals to humans.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
3. I try to keep up with the current trends and fashions.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
4. I find it difficult to explain to others things that I understand easily, when they don't understand it first time.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
5. I dream most nights.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
6. I really enjoy caring for other people.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
7. I try to solve my own problems rather than discussing them with others.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
8. I find it hard to know what to do in a social situation.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
9. I am at my best first thing in the morning.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
10. People often tell me that I went too far in driving my point home in a discussion.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
11. It doesn't bother me too much if I am late meeting a friend.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
12. Friendships and relationships are just too difficult, so I tend not to bother with them.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
13. I would never break a law, no matter how minor.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
14. I often find it difficult to judge if something is rude or polite.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
15. In a conversation, I tend to focus on my own thoughts rather than on what my listener might be thinking.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
16. I prefer practical jokes to verbal humour.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
17. I live life for today rather than the future.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
18. When I was a child, I enjoyed cutting up worms to see what would happen.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
19. I can pick up quickly if someone says one thing but means another.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
20. I tend to have very strong opinions about morality.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
21. It is hard for me to see why some things upset people so much.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
22. I find it easy to put myself in somebody else's shoes.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
23. I think that good manners are the most important thing a parent can teach their child.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
24. I like to do things on the spur of the moment.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
25. I am good at predicting how someone will feel.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
26. I am quick to spot when someone in a group is feeling awkward or uncomfortable.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
27. If I say something that someone else is offended by, I think that that's their problem, not mine.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
28. If anyone asked me if I liked their haircut, I would reply truthfully, even if I didn't like it.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
29. I can't always see why someone should have felt offended by a remark.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
30. People often tell me that I am very unpredictable.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
31. I enjoy being the centre of attention at any social gathering.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
32. Seeing people cry doesn't really upset me.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
33. I enjoy having discussions about politics.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
34. I am very blunt, which some people take to be rudeness, even though this is unintentional.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
35. I don?tend to find social situations confusing.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
36. Other people tell me I am good at understanding how they are feeling and what they are thinking.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
37. When I talk to people, I tend to talk about their experiences rather than my own.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
38. It upsets me to see an animal in pain.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
39. I am able to make decisions without being influenced by people's feelings.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
40. I can't relax until I have done everything I had planned to do that day.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
41. I can easily tell if someone else is interested or bored with what I am saying.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
42. I get upset if I see people suffering on news programmes.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
43. Friends usually talk to me about their problems as they say that I am very understanding.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
44. I can sense if I am intruding, even if the other person doesn't tell me.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
45. I often start new hobbies but quickly become bored with them and move on to something else.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
46. People sometimes tell me that I have gone too far with teasing.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
47. I would be too nervous to go on a big rollercoaster.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
48. Other people often say that I am insensitive, though I don?always see why.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
49. If I see a stranger in a group, I think that it is up to them to make an effort to join in.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
50. I usually stay emotionally detached when watching a film.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
51. I like to be very organised in day to day life and often make lists of the chores I have to do.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
52. I can tune into how someone else feels rapidly and intuitively.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
53. I don't like to take risks.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
54. I can easily work out what another person might want to talk about.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
55. I can tell if someone is masking their true emotion.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
56. Before making a decision I always weigh up the pros and cons.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
57. I don't consciously work out the rules of social situations.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
58. I am good at predicting what someone will do.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
59. I tend to get emotionally involved with a friend's problems.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
60. I can usually appreciate the other person's viewpoint, even if I don't agree with it.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
How to work out your EQ scoreScore two points for each of the following items if you answered 'definitely agree' or one point if you answered 'slightly agree': 1, 6, 19, 22, 25, 26, 35, 36, 37, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 52, 54, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60.
Score two points for each of the following items if you answered 'definitely disagree' or one point if you answered 'slightly disagree': 4, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15,18, 21, 27, 28, 29, 32, 34, 39, 46, 48, 49, 50
All other questions are not scored.
What your score meansOn average, most women score about 47 and most men about 42. Most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20.
0-32 = You have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately.
33-52 = You have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity.
53-63 = You have an above average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity.
64-80 = You have a very high ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity.


The Systemizing Quotient (SQ)The Systemizing Quotient gives a score based on how interested you assess yourself to be in each of the following forms of systemizing. Systemizing is the drive to analyse and explore a system, to extract underlying rules that govern the behaviour of a system; and the drive to construct systems. Please read each of the following 60 statements very carefully and rate how strongly you agree or disagree with them by circling your answer. There are no right or wrong answers, or trick questions.
How to take the test1. Print out this page and circle your answers. 2. Work out your SQ score using the points system explained at the bottom of this page.
1. When I listen to a piece of music, I always notice the way it's structured.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
2. I adhere to common superstitions.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
3. I often make resolutions, but find it hard to stick to them.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
4. I prefer to read non-fiction than fiction.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
5. If I were buying a car, I would want to obtain specific information about its engine capacity.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
6. When I look at a painting, I do not usually think about the technique involved in making it.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
7. If there was a problem with the electrical wiring in my home, I'd be able to fix it myself.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
8. When I have a dream, I find it difficult to remember precise details about the dream the next day.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
9. When I watch a film, I prefer to be with a group of friends, rather than alone.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
10. I am interested in learning about different religions.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
11. I rarely read articles or webpages about new technology.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
12. I do not enjoy games that involve a high degree of strategy.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
13. I am fascinated by how machines work.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
14. I make it a point of listening to the news each morning.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
15. In maths, I am intrigued by the rules and patterns governing numbers.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
16. I am bad about keeping in touch with old friends.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
17. When I am relating a story, I often leave out details and just give the gist of what happened.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
18. I find it difficult to understand instruction manuals for putting appliances together.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
19. When I look at an animal, I like to know the precise species it belongs to.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
20. If I were buying a computer, I would want to know exact details about its hard drive capacity and processor speed.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
21. I enjoy participating in sport.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
22. I try to avoid doing household chores if I can.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
23. When I cook, I do not think about exactly how different methods and ingredients contribute to the final product.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
24. I find it difficult to read and understand maps.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
25. If I had a collection (e.g. CDs, coins, stamps), it would be highly organised.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
26. When I look at a piece of furniture, I do not notice the details of how it was constructed.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
27. The idea of engaging in "risk-taking" activities appeals to me.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
28. When I learn about historical events, I do not focus on exact dates.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
29. When I read the newspaper, I am drawn to tables of information, such as football league scores or stock market indices.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
30. When I learn a language, I become intrigued by its grammatical rules.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
31. I find it difficult to learn my way around a new city.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
32. I do not tend to watch science documentaries on television or read articles about science and nature.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
33. If I were buying a stereo, I would want to know about its precise technical features.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
34. I find it easy to grasp exactly how odds work in betting.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
35. I am not very meticulous when I carry out D.I.Y.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
36. I find it easy to carry on a conversation with someone I've just met.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
37. When I look at a building, I am curious about the precise way it was constructed.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
38. When an election is being held, I am not interested in the results for each constituency.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
39. When I lend someone money, I expect them to pay me back exactly what they owe me.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
40. I find it difficult to understand information the bank sends me on different investment and saving systems.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
41. When travelling by train, I often wonder exactly how the rail networks are coordinated.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
42. When I buy a new appliance, I do not read the instruction manual very thoroughly.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
43. If I were buying a camera, I would not look carefully into the quality of the lens.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
44. When I read something, I always notice whether it is grammatically correct.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
45. When I hear the weather forecast, I am not very interested in the meteorological patterns.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
46. I often wonder what it would be like to be someone else.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
47. I find it difficult to do two things at once.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
48. When I look at a mountain, I think about how precisely it was formed.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
49. I can easily visualise how the motorways in my region link up.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
50. When I'm in a restaurant, I often have a hard time deciding what to order.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
51. When I'm in a plane, I do not think about the aerodynamics.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
52. I often forget the precise details of conversations I've had.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
53. When I am walking in the country, I am curious about how the various kinds of trees differ.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
54. After meeting someone just once or twice, I find it difficult to remember precisely what they look like.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
55. I am interested in knowing the path a river takes from its source to the sea.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
56. I do not read legal documents very carefully.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
57. I am not interested in understanding how wireless communication works.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
58. I am curious about life on other planets.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
59. When I travel, I like to learn specific details about the culture of the place I am visiting.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
60. I do not care to know the names of the plants I see.
strongly agree
slightly agree
slightly disagree
strongly disagree
How to work out your SQ scoreScore two points for each of the following items if you answered 'definitely agree' or one point if you answered 'slightly agree': 1, 4, 5, 7, 13, 15, 19, 20, 25, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, 41, 44, 48, 49, 53, 55.
Score two points for each of the following items if you answered 'definitely disagree' or one point if you answered 'slightly disagree': 6, 11, 12, 18, 23, 24, 26, 28, 31, 32, 35, 38, 40, 42, 43, 45, 51, 56, 57, 60.
All other questions are not scored.
What your score meansOn average women score about 24 and men score about 30.
0-19 = You have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system.
20-39 = You have an average ability for analysing and exploring a system.
40-50 = You have an above average ability for analysing and exploring a system.
51-80 = You have a very high ability for analysing and exploring a system. Three times as many people with Asperger Syndrome score in this range, compared to typical men, and almost no women score this high.

What type of brain do you have?According to Baron-Cohen's theory, a person (whether male or female) has a particular 'brain type'. There are three common brain types: the female brain, the male brain and the balanced brain.
You can see where you fit by plotting your SQ score on the horizontal axis and your EQ score on the vertical axis on the graph below.
For some individuals, empathising is stronger than systemising. This is called the female brain, or a brain of type E.
For other individuals, systemising is stronger than empathising. This is called the male brain, or a brain of type S.
Yet other individuals are equally strong in their systemising and empathising. This is called the 'balanced brain', or a brain of type B.
The balanced brain would fit on the diagonal in the top right of the graph - this is where both EQ and SQ are equally strong.
The extreme female brain (which would be at the top left of the graph) has yet to be discovered according to Baron-Cohen. The extreme male brain (bottom right of the graph) may be a manifestation of autism.
A key feature of the theory is that your sex cannot tell you which type of brain you have. Not all men have the male brain, and not all women have the female brain. The central claim of this new theory is only that on average, more males than females have a brain of type S, and more females than males have a brain of type E.

No comments:

Post a Comment