Saturday

So the latest thing seems to be, don't give us drugs to manage diabetes, make us change our lifestyle. Here are a couple of news items I picked up on recently:
CBS News Report
and
BBC News Report

Interestingly, I am NOT overweight, I don't eat unhealthily and haven't for many years, yet I am Type 2 diabetic. I have been told that I HAVE the illness and it won't go away, it cannot be cured. The tablets, and I am on avandamet as it was the one that eventually managed to get my blood sugars down below 7.0 (most of the time), keep me in check, they help regulate my body, they do not provide a cure. My question is, who are these people at the Mayo clinic talking about? For me, these tablets do not prevent Diabetes, they help control what I have. Are they advocating that I stop tabletting and adopt lifestyle changes in order to keep my blood sugar down? But I already have it, so, are doctors prescribing these drugs to patients who haven't got Diabetes, but might get it because they are fat / overweight / inactive ? I don't understand.

Another intersting story on the genes front emerged this week:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2007-04/28/content_862461.htm

I quote "Despite its growing global prevalence, the disease's underlying causes have been only minimally understood, restricting treatment and prevention efforts." from the above source. MINIMALLY UNDERSTOOD. I read that after I was still seething about the Mayo professors and their apparant generalisation that type 2 diabetics are overweight and immobile.

More and more I feel like a leper, perhaps I ought to get some T SHirts printed up with 'It's in my Genes'

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! You have said it very well. Keep going

    ReplyDelete